Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Musical Madness

I teach a mini musical class at school every trimester (12 weeks long). I made up this class two years ago so that I would be able to have a large variety and amount of the student population be able to take a vocal music elective class that was not a year long commitment. It has allowed about 40 kids who I wouldn't normally know opportunity to take a class with me and it has worked exactly as I planned.....I get about 10-20 percent of them to sign up for choir the following year.

Each trimester, the class picks out a child appropriate 40 minute show to present to our 3 elementary shows. We do everything...from making up choreography, rehearsing music, assigning the roles, and creating any props and scenery that we may need. It is an extremely busy class but we tend to end up with a fairly good show. This trimester we did a show called "It's s'cool"--trust me, I can spell it much better than I can say it! The show is a blend of Rent, Fame, and Grease with a bit of High School Musical thrown in for good measure!

Today started our big performance marathon. After tomorrow afternoon, we will have performed the show 4 times! It is a high energy show and everyone will be exhausted by the end. Although it is not high quality, I am proud of my students. The dances are clean and the singing is good. The acting....we won't talk about that. (I need to find an acting workshop this summer). The majority of them have NEVER and WILL NEVER audition for any kind of community or professional theater. They don't have the money, a car, or enough talent to be able to be successful in that kind of setting. But I do hope that my little "garage" theater production with zero budget and limited talent is a real bright spot in their high school memories. It is for me.....every trimester! I will attempt to load a video of some of their performance but I make no promises that it will work!

No comments: