Thursday, May 8, 2008

Concert of Fun

Last night we performed in our spring choral concert. I think the kids had a blast. Let me highlight a few of my favorite moments.

1. I was able to get a Yamaha Clavinova this year for the auditorium/choir. Because of having a portable instrument that was lift-able, I was able to sit in the orchestra pit and play and direct without being on stage....it was good.

2. Each of my choirs performed an accappella (I don't know how to spell that word so double letters all over should work) piece last night for the first time in public. When I came to this school three years ago, the group couldn't sing a scale up or down without lots of help. Last year they couldn't sing a scale down at the beginning of the year and this year they can sing scales AND intervals. Boy oh boy, are we moving up!

3. My principal came without being asked....and then high fived me after the show. He's just like that!

4. My choir pulled off a song at the end with full choreography that was really fun to watch and listen to. And they were polished!

5. Although it is the final concert for 12 of my seniors, it was good to be able to recognize them because it gave them a moment of "specialness" to hopefully remember when they sit home and play video games all day next year!

Although it is over and things can calm down for a while, I am always reminded very clearly why I teach performing groups. It is my biggest accomplishment to see my students, especially the ones that have really pitiful home situations, be proud of what they do. It is a "bigger" goal that I work on all year through small goals like teaching stage presence, vocal technique, etiquette, and rehearsal attitude. We don't always achieve it...but last night it happened in a big way. And it was good.

No comments: