Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Recovery Day 2

Surgery went very well yesterday.  The gastric bypass took about 1.5 hours to complete and was all done laproscopicly which means that I will have a much shorter hospital stay.  It looked like I might have even been released later today but an "event" happened that may get me an extra day in the slammer. :(

I slept the anesthesia off  for most of yesterday.  It always takes my system a long time to clear it all out but this morning, I am feeling much better.  It always makes me smile when I look at a hospital and notice that they are just on a time schedule that is foreign to me...basically what I call baby time!  You sleep for a couple of hours, you get up and they poke you with a needle or change an iv bag, or ask you to take a walk and then you can go back to sleep!  Oh, and you eventually get lucky and start eating!

This morning the nurse came in at 5 a.m. to draw some labs and about 30 minutes later, another nurse arrived with 3 bags of liquid potassium.  I have a rare syndrome that causes my potassium to sit at a very low level and stay there with asymptomatic effects to me.  Today it fell into the very critical level (1.9) and so they are opting for the liquid potassium method.  On a normal person this would raise the potassium up a considerable amount.  But my track record has always been a tenth of a point per bag...not really all that impressive.  The terrible side effect is that it burns my arm as it goes in.  So, I am dealing with that nuisance until about noon today.  Oh well, at least I can still type!!

I am looking forward to seeing the doctor this morning in about 15 minutes so I better rest up.  Sometimes my words get very slurred when I talk with not enough sleep! 

Make it a great day.  I will try to update later in the day!
Blessings,

No comments: