Friday, July 8, 2011

Eating

Many of you have asked what I eat these days.  I have been told by several bariatric patients to follow the doctor's orders exactly and I won't have problems.  So, that is what I am attempting to do!  My goal is to drink 64 ounces of water and consume 4 8 ounce protein drinks daily.  Today I had 20 ounces of water and so far have had 2 protein drinks.  These drinks aren't just the "shakes" that people think about but they come in a variety of ways.  Hot chocolate, chicken and beef broth, gelatin, fruit drinks, etc.  so it really doesn't taste all that bad!


My first day after surgery I was drinking about 1 ounce every waking hour.  1 ounce is the size of a children's medicine cup.  It isn't very much.  After drinking the ounce, I felt incredibly full and couldn't put down any more liquid.  My liquids are slowly increasing but it is still very small sips, no gulping, no multiple sips, etc.  It is a slow go but I am resolved to get this done!


In two weeks, I will have a followup appointment with my doctor and nutritionist.  I have heard that I get to introduce some high protein soft foods (like cottage cheese, eggs, etc) to my diet.  And then 2 weeks later, I will add more things to the diet.  They are kind of secretive about what you get to add next...probably don't want to tempt you to eat it early!


The hard part of all of this are the pills...you can take up to two an hour...but when you take them, it fills you up!  So, I don't quite have this part down yet.


Today I gave up the heavy pain meds and haven't had any tylenol since 1:30 this afternoon.  I want to drive tomorrow so I need to stay off the big meds....but I will take them if I can't sleep tonight!


I also went with Stan to pick up the kids at Spring Hill this morning.  It was a bit much for the walking but I slept most of the afternoon and am relaxing now!  Little baby steps.

And finally, I lost 12 pounds before the surgery.  The doctor likes your stomach and liver to shrink beforehand.  When I got home, I weighed myself and had gained 9 pounds.  My mom says the nurses put in a ton of fluid into my IV bags.  So, today I weighed myself again and I was not only the 9 lbs down, but I also have lost one additional pound.  HERE WE GO!!  

Make it a great weekend. 

Blessings,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I look every day for your blog, Heidi. It helps to know just what you are experiencing. I know you will be successful. Take it easy.
LUV