Monday, July 11, 2011

Dumping

"Dumping" is a type of syndrome that occurs naturally with up to 50% of patients who have gone through bariatric surgery.  I researched it today on the Mayo Clinic website and it was very interesting.  Yesterday, I think I had my first round of dumping.  It is not pleasant at all and manifests itself differently in everyone.  Symptoms can start immediately during eating or sometimes they creep up about 1-3 hours after a meal.   It basically is your bodies reaction to having too much "food" quickly go into your small intestine without enough stomach enzymes...you can read more about it by clicking here.

Yesterday I was on my way to church and I needed to get my protein in before the service so I was sipping my hot chocolate all the way to church.  When I got there, I had about 2 ounces left and instead of just leaving it, I guzzled it because without thinking, I fell back on the old way of drinking.  So, about an hour later, I was hit with a major wave of dumping syndrome.  I was lightheaded, dizzy, felt like my sugar was about 40, and had a major hot flash.  And then I sang in the Praise Band and pretended I was fine.  It lasted a good hour--most of the service--but I learned an important lesson from this.... I NEVER WANT TO HAVE THAT HAPPEN AGAIN.

Today, I have been very careful to take upwards of 2 hours to drink my hot chocolate.  And I feel full and much better.  So far, no down in the dumps feeling! And I hope to keep it that way!

The weight is falling off of me.  23 lbs today.  I can't remember the last time I lost that much.  My plan was to go back to school in September with my same old clothes...that plan may have to be modified.  I think the consignment shops will be my new best friend for a while!! 

Have a great day.  I am going to!
Blessings,
Heidi

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heidi, Dad and I have just read Sat. and Sun. entries. We are thinking about you often during each day. Congratulations on the 23 lbs. lost. People will notice. Your journey has inspired me to cook a little more on the healthy side for us. e.g. zucchini with diced tomatoes, but no potato this noon along with poached chicken breasts. LUV