Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Long Time, no Bloggin!

I  have been without phone, internet, and cable for a few days so blogging ceased.  Sadness... I enjoy processing my thoughts via writing.  :)

These last few days have been somewhat frustrating because for those of you who know me, I am a do-er.  And I couldn't do as much because my healing body wasn't letting me.  Very frustrating.  But today, I have turned the corner!  My incisions don't hurt anymore, I have taken no Extra Strength Tylenol and my body has started to return to "normal".  Without going into the details... my bottom half has always had issues with anesthetic.  It likes to freeze up for a long time.  Today the issues got all worked out :) and I feel like a new woman! Shaaaazam!

Since I started on this "diet" a few weeks ago and had to give up real food, my potassium levels have plummeted.  I have always had issues with this (I have a syndrome called "Gittelman's") since about the age of 15.  It is hereditary and I am asymptomatic.  Normal potassium levels are between 3.5 and 5.0.  My highest reading ever has been 3.4 and that is with very strict ingestion of lethal amounts of potassium each day.  When I had my pre surgery bloods checked my potassium was 2.9 which is in the critical level.  On my discharge day, my levels had fallen to 1.9 which is critically low.  Every single operation that I have ever had has ended up with me getting IV liquid potassium. It is very painful because it burns when it goes in.   That day, they gave me 3 bags of it and my levels didn't change at all!  Frustrating for them and very typical for me.  Today I had my bloods checked and I am up to 2.2.  Hopefully, I can continue the upward climb.

I had a chance to talk to the doctor tonight on the phone.  I LOVE when doctors call you!  :)   I told her that drinking the protein shakes were starting to really nauseate me.  She assured me that this happens to many patients.  That made me feel better.  She asked me if I liked Milk.  I about fell over in excitement and anticipation!  I LOVE MILK!  It is the one food that I miss the most.  She told me that instead of a shake, I can have a glass of skim milk and a packet of carnation sugar free instant breakfast.  And then she said, "Do you like yogurt?".  To which I replied, "Not as much as milk but a whole bunch more than those protein shakes".  She told me I could have yogurt without chunks.  I am elated!  This is a major win for me!  OH, and did I mention that those carnation instant breakfast packets taste a whole lot like Nesquik???  YUM. 

Today I mowed the backyard.  Don't tell anyone but during the last week of June when I was taking a class in Lansing, Stan mowed the front lawn and then the lawn mower broke.  Instead of taking it to the shop, he waited 4 days until I got home.  Then I had surgery, then I had recovery....So the backyard was like a jungle!  But with the cool temperatures I had to do it!  Tonight I will sleep well!

 My sugars are a bit high again...pray about that one.  But there is still time to kick the diabetes out.  My body is just being a little stubborn.  All in His time. 

Ok.  Off to bed so I can mow the front yard! 
Blessings,
Heidi

1 comment:

Kyle said...

Carnation Instant Breakfasts are the BEST! I have them as a breakfast replacement (sometimes) because eating early in the morning can make me sick.

I'm so glad everything is going well, for the most part. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you to continue to do well. AND for those sugar and potassium levels to improve :D