Friday, July 22, 2011

Eating into the 3rd and 4th week

On Wednesday last week, I went in for my 2 week check.  I had  two appointments that day~one with the Physician's Assistant and the other with the nutritionist.

I am not a big fan of nutritionists.  I feel like I know a lot about the calories, fat, carb, fiber, etc. of most of the foods that I commonly eat.  I know how to count calories, fat, protein, fiber or whatever else a diet would call for.  I know the Weight Watcher point value of almost everything and I still look at something and think about the "points".  I am hoping that I will begin to forget some of this.

When I met with the Nut(ritionist), I was pleasantly surprised.  She didn't talk in the familiar jargon that I was so used to.  Instead of telling me what NOT to eat, she began to tell me what and how to eat.  My primary focus right now is protein.  She told me I can eat fruit, veggies (not legumes yet) and crackers only AFTER I got my 60 plus grams of protein in.  Foods that I can eat this week are cottage cheese, milk, greek yoghurt, refried beans, any soup made with milk,  applesauce (unsweetened), mashed potatoes,  non fat dry milk, puddings, oatmeal, oat bran, and tofu.  I have eaten everything except tofu...and that probably won't happen.  Next week I will add luncheon meat, regular chicken, turkey, all seafood, and any kind of cheese.

Things that I have discovered--You can add a fresh peach (no skin) to 3 oz. of plain greek yoghurt.  It is the most delicious thing ever--10 grams of protein.  I FINALLY get to have a peach this season!
I have already decided that I will have this again for breakfast tomorrow and the next and the next, etc.

You can also add dry milk to almost anything that calls for regular milk.  I just made my pudding with the normal 2 cups of milk and then added dry milk to the milk to give me double protein.  1/2 cup of pudding-8 grams of protein.  I plan to add more dry milk next time.   Pistachio flavor--yum!

I can't just eat a piece of fruit yet.  Too much sugar I guess.  I hope to be able to have a peach by the time the red haven peaches arrive in MI.  That will be some time in early August.

By the time I go on vacation to visit my inlaws, I will be eating mostly everything.  My next appointment is August 12.  I then will have three appointments~ Surgeon, Nut , and Exercise Person. 

I exercised 30 minutes today.  I walked 2 miles and did some weights.  I will continue everyday because my weight loss has stalled and I want the least amount of sagging skin as possible! 

My family has been such a support to me.  Madison saw me eating a cracker today and said, "Mom, is that legal?"  and gave me the evil eye.  I told her that crackers are now "legal" and she smiled and forgave me.  :)  Then she worked on writing a story via computer on the couch as I exercised.  Cheering me on...because that is how we roll!

It's been a good day today.  The temps have stayed in the 80's which is so much of an improvement for the week!  I felt so sorry for so many Michigander's who don't have air conditioning.  I hope that the heat wave is over.

Well, that does it.  Make it a great rest of the day.
Blessings,
Heidi

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heidi, this all sounds so positive! I'm sure there are some difficult times, but I am impressed with your attitude and willingness to share your journey on your blog. I hope that you will soon see some weight loss again. It is still very hot here. We've only walked 2x this week. LUV

Vangie said...

Sounds Great!