Friday, June 13, 2008

A houseful of people....that I love.

My parents are currently hosting a spectacular event! It is called "Drop In and Stay a While Festival of Fun". In other words, the whole family has come over for a visit. Here are the highlights of the Festival thus far:

After great planning and spectacular anticipation, Mom and I planned to surprise Sally, my sister, with an impromptu visit. I haven't seen her for 2 years so this was a big deal. The plan was to have my Mom and Sally go to Big Apple Bagel in Davison and the kids and I would just "show up" which for us is a 2 hour trip to this restaurant! To celebrate Nate's 5th grade graduation, I told the kids at 4p.m. on Wednesday that we would be leaving for a night of swimming at a hotel. They were pumped and got busy packing and we were out of the house in 30 minutes flat!

In order to try my hand at being frugal, I had some "points" that I had accrued for a free night at a hotel. I decided that we would stay at the Davison hotel so that we would be "in town" for the big surprise. When we arrived, after 2 hours of anticipation and excitement, I was quickly able to crush my children's hopes and dreams with one single sentence. "Guys, the pool is being renovated." My children were not happy with me at all. It was not the best of 5th grade graduation celebrations.

The next morning we arrived at BAB and quickly took our position for "Operation Sally". We carefully parked our car so that we could case out the entrance to the restaurant. Once they arrived, we quietly snuck in after them and positioned ourselves right behind them in line. When Mom placed her order, I loudly said, "Hey Mom, could you order me one of those too?"
Sally spun around and with her mouth gaping open started to scream and then cry and then hyperventilate. She really is fun to surprise!

She obviously had no idea that I was coming because she had on no makeup, wore a frumpy overshirt, pink t shirt, blue jean capris, bobby sock,s tennis shoes (she NEVER wears these out in public), and didn't even have her purse! I was really happy that my plan had worked!

We head back to Kalamazoo today which is a little quick but I think the visit was totally worth the gas!

No comments: