Wednesday, June 4, 2008

39 Years...and possibly holding. Forever.

It is with a bit of fear that I write this post. It is not everyday that one hits the the cool age of 39. For real. So here is a list (surprise, surprise!) of highlights from last year just to remember me by if I don't make it to 40.

July: The month that it became "official" that I would be the auditorium manager for the High School. My training for the entire job lasted 1 hour. It included giving me multiple forms that I was supposed to know how to fill out and a big bunch of keys. AND Harry Potter Book 7 was delivered to our front porch on July 21st. My man decided that we should take a picture of the historic occasion. Reading order: Husband, Nathan, Heidi, and then Madison. We were all finished with it by the end of August. What a great book. OH! Stu and I spent two weeks in England....awesome vacation but we are still paying for it I think!

August: I decided that this was the year to "outfit" the choir with new concert dress. When it was all said and done, we spent close to 6,000 dollars. But they look great! Sorry, my pictures are at school.

September: School started (I made that cake over there on the right the night before the big day!) and I realized within the first week that my varsity choir had the makings to be really good if they bought into my philosophy of vocal pedagogy. They did....and I will miss them so much.

October: I don't remember anything about this month except that Halloween was warm. In Michigan. Go figure.

November: We went to Great Wolf Lodge for Thanksgiving. It was relaxing and extremely fun. There were many "moms" in bathing suits so I got over my shyness quite quickly. The kids were so happy and Stan and I had much time to just chill by the pool. I won't include a picture of me at the pool....it would be too much to handle. Please just trust me on this one.

December: I was only home for 5 evenings in three weeks because of all the auditorium bookings. I was beginning to feel really resentful of this job. Christmas was held at our house and Uncle Jon and Uncle Bill and my parents were there. Nate got the Guitar Hero. BFF.

January: A lot of snow....3 snow days which is a huge amount for our district. It never got extremely cold but it sure liked to snow!

February: The shortest month of the year! My sister Sally turned 40! That is when I started thinking about turning 39. It was a lot of thinking.....

March: Stu, (this is what I called my husband when we first met and I really thought it was his name) decided that he would landscape our back yard in the spring. Since we didn't agree on ideas of the "perfect" yard, we just decided to split the yard up right down the middle. Here is his half (in progress):

And here is mine: (Those are last fall's leaves if you can't quite see them).
We won't talk about this anymore.

April: This is the month that I decided to accept the position as the new director of the Kalamazoo Community Chorale. I am looking forward to working with this great bunch of ladies in he fall.

May: Hold on! The busiest month of my life. Every weekend was booked with rentals and every weekday was booked with concerts/awards ceremonies. It was a month that I don't want to repeat for a long time-- at least 12 more months that is!

June: I am four days in. I am totally exhausted from the trip to Cedar Point yesterday and remembering fondly all the roller coasters I rode. I don't know their names (because it didn't seem important at the time) but each one was very unique. It was fun to the max! Oh, and for the record, I don't ride anything that looks remotely like a swinging pirate ship or any ride that spins around in circles. The younger generation handled those rides! Anyway, it was a great way to spend the day.

We had a fabulous birthday dinner of take out Chinese and store bought German Chocolate cake. What a carb filled day! So, there you have it. I am off to early bed! Because a 39 year old will definitely need some beauty rest.

1 comment:

The Duchess said...

That's weird because I distinctly remember Halloween being cold for several reasons, one of which was that I was at a party and we were all huddled around one of those contained fire-pit thingies and we left the party because we were cold. Maybe the daytime was hot? I was working so I don't remember....