Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Deadlines of plenty.


Nathan graduated from 5th grade today. It was a bittersweet moment. My baby is no longer a baby anymore. Gone are those nightly cuddles. Sadness. But every once in a while he is still my baby and I cherish those little hugs or kisses that come flying my way when I least expect them.

I have been living under big deadlines lately. Last weekend was actually a duel deadline- one for my personal life and one for my professional life. The professional life was fulfilled on Friday with the culmination of high school graduation at Wings Stadium. We have always had our graduation at our football field and since our bleachers were condemned, we had to find a new venue. Since I run the auditorium and pretend to be good at logistics, I was all the sudden put in charge of a tremendous amount of the ceremony and all the behind the scenes work. To add to the stress, my principal spent the majority of the beginning of last week in the hospital so I became the "go to" person for all the questions. It was stressful to say the least. But the ceremony went as planned and it was well run.

My personal life deadline was the completion of the fifth grade moving on video that I had signed up for in November. It involved pulling together pictures, music, video footage, and a plan for a 40 minute show. My friend Britt came to the rescue with her video production expertise in April because I knew that I had gotten in way over my head. She worked countless hours on this project and although I didn't "make" the show, I was involved in the actual planning of how it should look and unfold. Most of you know that I don't do well with handing over "my projects" to other people. But I knew that Britt could handle it. She had hoped to be done the week before last but "life" got in the way and we quickly both realized that this project had to get done on GRADUATION day. The afternoon that we transfered over the footage from my machine to hers, we went through the following "weather events" in one hour--1 severe thunderstorm warning, 2 different tornado warnings and hail that was a 3/4 inch in diameter. So the entire Britt family of 5 plus two neighborhood friends and me were huddled in the basement with our laptops trying to transfer data and hoping the power wouldn't go out. I think it was one of my top ten most stressed out moments. Looking back on it....well, it is quite funny! After a little more editing, we were ready for the final product and the big show today! The fifth graders absolutely loved it. They sang to the songs, danced in their seats and laughed at their classmate's great video clips. Yay! Stress over. And there were no negative comments about anything. I came home and literally passed out on the couch for 2 hours.

And finally, my deadline for tomorrow is to submit my grades. Shhhh....don't tell anyone.....I got that done today when no one was looking!

Happy summer everyone! Time to go pick out a new cross stitch project!

No comments: