Saturday, April 12, 2008

Washington By Bus

My dad likes to consider himself the "navigator" on family trips. He loves to explore new towns by taking public transportation. I prefer subways but he prefers buses. He prefers to "see" the town and I prefer to just get to the destination even if it is out of the way to ride the subway. I know the wait will be just a few minutes and a train will arrive! Buses are just a bit different in their schedules. Is that a nice way to say that we did our fair share of "waiting"?
When we arrived in Washington DC, we didn't have a subway or a bus map so we did what every true Morris does, we asked complete strangers for directions. Multiple strangers. Multiple directions. It was not the best way to get around but it worked. So when we got to the hotel, I took it upon myself to hunt down a bus/subway map via the internet! My search was successful and soon I had loaded the entire subway map onto my ipod. How techno-geek was this! In retrospect, this was not the wisest solution since the ipod nano's screen is only 1 inch square. Obviously the subway map wasn't very usable! But it did look pretty cute on the screen! The bus map was harder to find. I kept clicking on the link to get to it and nothing happened. Ifinally gave up signed off the internet and started to shut down my computer only to find 12 beautifully downloaded pdf files of the bus map! Of course, I didn't pack my printer so now we were right back where we started! I took a few shots of our favorite pastime during this trip
Here are some pictures to enjoy:



Waiting for our favorite bus: #42



Madison is yawning!


Finally giving in to a rest!


No comments: