Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Shift of Power

Tomorrow is my last day teaching my college students. I decided to resign at the end of this semester so that I can devote a little bit more time next year to things that I have had to avoid. Like Housework. And Cooking. And seeing my kids. When I announced my decision a few weeks back to my husband his response was simple yet profound: "Do you think that this means that the Maid and the Cook might come back now?"

Although I am not a maid or a cook by profession, I do find both of these tasks extremely rewarding and relaxing at times. And in that one sentence, I realized that I have the right man by my side. He has been the Cook and the Maid for 2 years now and needs a break! So obviously he is happy about the shift of power next year!

And I am happy to be able to cook and clean again! Especially cook.....

Now that Nate has started eating "real food", I can successfully cook 1 meal for the four of us instead of multiple meals at one setting. I realize that some of you are saying, "Well, if you just make him eat what is there and not baby him, you wouldn't have this problem".
For the record, let me offer a small explanation. Nate is our "easy" child. He is the one in the family that is happy to do whatever, whenever, and however. He doesn't fuss or make a big deal out of things. I joke around that he is probably too busy watching his sister be the "drama queen" and forgets that he can have an opinion too! But, when it comes to food....he is extremely bullheaded, stubborn, and opinionated and a "drama king". Before he could speak I remember him pushing his food away when it didn't suit his delicate palette. He never would try things except on his terms. He still to this day is very hesitant to try things. I do remember one night when we were on vacation and he was about four years old, he reached over to his father's salad and ate a tomato, onion, crouton, piece of lettuce, and salad dressing all in different bites. No one asked him to do it and he never did it again. But he found out that salad was not his thing! So, there you have it. He still is picky but I look back in the last year and he has increased his menu to about 30 food items. That is great since 2 years ago he only was eating Fruit, Peanut butter, chicken nuggets, and Macaroni and Cheese. Oh, and don't forget the yogurt. So I figure we are doing great!
So yes! I am happy about the job change. And I can't wait to be done teaching college...for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You forgot about ice cream and junk food! :) Those were two of Nathan's main food groups!