Monday, June 30, 2008

Fishing for Fast Dinners


Since summer is in full swing, I am always trying to find new ways to sneak some garden veggies into my dinners. This recipe is actually a creation of mine that seems to be a hit everytime I serve it. It takes about 20 minutes to prepare from start to finish and uses only one pan. Why go to Olive Garden when you can make yummy seafood alfredo at home for a fraction of the cost!

Simple Seafood Alfredo
2-3 small yellow squash, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1 pkg. fresh sliced mushrooms
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 lb fresh assorted shellfish (I use a combo of scallops, shrimp, canned clams and/or imitation lobster/crab)
1 large jar of alfredo sauce (I have even used the dry pkg. type with great success--just follow the directions on the pkg.)

Saute mushrooms, yellow squash, and mushrooms in a lightly sprayed or oiled frying pan until onions are translucent and vegetables are cooked according to your preference. I cover the pan to keep in the juices. I usually add a little "garlic in a jar" too because everything tastes better with garlic!

As the vegetable mixture is cooking, clean the seafood and cut into small bite size pieces. Remember seafood shrinks as it cooks so don't go too small! When the veggies are done, add the seafood and stir frequently. Cook until scallops are opaque and shrimp is pink--it won't take long so watch carefully. Add the jar of alfredo sauce and cook until bubbly. Serve with your favorite pasta, top with a sprinkle of parmesan and enjoy!

I have never actually measured out any of this recipe so feel free to tinker with it according to your taste!

During the winter season, I mix it all together and throw it in the oven for about 15 minutes and bake with some mozzarella cheese on top....yummy! Serve with a green salad and call it good!

2 comments:

Pumita said...

I can vouch that this really is a good "comfort food" recipe. Thanks for sharing!

sarah marie said...

Mmm, this sounds good. I'm not a seafood person, but I bet it would be tasty with chicken instead... I will have to try it!

Thanks for your comments on my blog. I think the ear infection was just an infection, since I hadn't been swimming in, well, since the last time I felt okay wearing a bathing suit, which was basically several years ago. :)