Sunday, June 8, 2008

Happy 9th Madison!


Nine years ago today at 9:53 a.m., Madison came squawking into this world! She was a big baby due to my gestational diabetes. She weighed a whopping 10 lbs/5 ounces. Because of my condition, it was standard protocol to have the baby spend the first 24 hours in the NICU (Neonatal intensive care unit). My doctor forgot to tell me this little tidbit of information ahead of time, so I remember the stress that I endured as she was wheeled away for "observation". The first time, later that day, that Stu and I visited the unit together was absolutely amazing. I couldn't get over how many nurses were tending to these babies....these babies that were very tiny and had a myriad of problems. Madison, on the other hand, had no problems. I remember a nurse commenting to me that "it is always "fun" to have a baby that weighs more than the other 3 babies combined" that shared her suite! In fact, they had to order diapers from the regular wing because she couldn't fit into the preemies!

That first year of life could be considered a "decline" of sorts. I remember taking her to every pediatric appointment and listening to the doctor comment that she was "falling" on the height and weight charts. What did they expect? She started at the 150th percentile. By her first birthday, she was in the 50th percentile for weight and the 10th percentile for height. If you look at her parents, you can see the genetic resemblence from these stats!

So where is she now? Nine years later, I am happy to report that Madison is now 50 inches tall and still in the 50th percentile for weight. Somehow a few days ago, she rigged up a measuring tape so that she could find out how tall she was! She then proclaimed to me that "if gas prices are too high and we can't go to Disney World it's ok Mom. According to Cedar Point's website, I can ride a lot of the rides now so we should go there instead."

I am so thankful to have a girl that can adapt to the economy so quickly! Happy Birthday Madison Kay!

No comments: