Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A tough day for Maddie

It was a mixed day of emotions for my youngest today. She is in a gifted/talented program at her school and the G/T teachers take the brightest out of school one full day a week and expose them to all sorts of engaging activities. It is a place that they all learn to get along and develop tolerance towards other G/T students.

The "getting along" with others was a real chore for Maddie today. In the process of not being nice to other children, she decided to also be rude and disrespectful to two of the teachers along the way. I got a phone call from one of the teachers before I left my own school explaining in detail the day-that-shall-not-be-named. Even though Madison has a lot of pride issues to deal with and doesn't do well with admission of guilt, I think she got the idea that she had done something really wrong. The two teachers who were the targets of her frustration today were Ms. K and Ms. C. She doesn't know Ms. K very well but Ms. C has been her G/T teacher for 3 years! Here are her letters of apology. Don't mention these to her in person....that would not be good for my relationship with her. Oh, before I share the letters, I wanted to tell you that these letters are actually 2nd drafts. The first drafts simply had the word "I'm sorry" scribbled across the half sheet of torn paper. By the end of my extremely well crafted and eloquent "speech of insensitivity", she ripped the letters up and stomped off to her room. We have to work on anger management too! But after 10 minutes of soul searching, she came down the steps with big crocodile tears in her eyes and presented the new letters.

Letter to Ms. K:
Dear Ms K,
I am sorry for the way I acted at the learning center. I acted like I was spoiled. I should have acted more like my friends who didn't get upset. Please forgive me.
Madison P.

Letter to Ms. C:
Dear Ms C,
I'm sorry about how I cried yesterday. I'm really sad about how I acted and know I made a mistake. Ms. K's letter was easier to write becsue I don't know her as much. But writing one to you is harder because I feel so guilty. So I hope you can forgive me.
Madison P.

Isn't it amazing that even a nine year old can feel how hard it is to apologize to the people that we care about the most? I think Madison is on the right track.

Always,
Heidi

1 comment:

The Duchess said...

Aww... I feel for her. What a hard lesson to learn. Unfortunately, those lessons don't get any easier as you get older. I think they get harder. I also think your daughter and I have a lot in common!!