Saturday, September 13, 2008

My beverage of choice

Today started out to be just a normal day. It was the first Saturday of our first full week of school and I couldn't wait to be able to sleep in, do some power cooking, and enjoy my children's company! Here is a run down of my "normal" day:

1. Tried to sleep in until 8a.m. but my bladder woke me up at 7.

2. Got up and discovered that my other early riser (Nathan) was up as well. Our chatter woke the youngest member of our family. She decided that is was "Mom and Maddie Morning" and told me to get ready to go out for breakfast with her!

3. Even though I paid, it was fun! Then I got the phone call that changed and rearranged my whole day!

4. A client from the auditorium called me and told me that there was some major leaking on the roof that covered the stage. A performance was scheduled for 3 p.m. today and the leaks were were right in the front of the stage!

5. I called lots of people....and finally got a crew to commit to come out TOMORROW to fix the roof. Not much of a help when you have 2 shows that are scheduled for TODAY.

6. I made a trip to the auditorium to find that the clients had an American flag that they wanted to magically fly in at the end of the show. This is usually no problem but when we hung the flag, it was so huge that when we brought the flag down it piled miserably onto the floor when the stars started to appear. So, we tipped the flag fat ways and totally broke all the rules of safety to get the flag to stay in place and prayed that it wouldn't fall during the shows.

7. After spending just an hour at the auditorium, I had everyone taken care of and the show started. I snuck out the back door, leaving two very capable techies in charge.

8. As our family was enjoying a nice homemade chicken dinner in the late afternoon, I heard the siren blow. WHAT??? A tornado warning in September?? This can't be happening!!

9. I made a frantic phone call to my techies, couldn't get a hold of them, and then my cell phone rang a minute later. A stage manager from the group that was in there had already decided that they should stop the show and take cover. He just wanted to know where to put 200 people!

10. I very calmly gave him directions. I knew that I should have been there doing this in person. I then poured an extremely large glass of Diet Caffiene Free Coke, convinced my children that we weren't going to perish, and headed to the basement.

11. So, that is how my day has gone so far. A bit too eventful for a Saturday. The Tornado has passed and we are safe and I will continue to sit in the basement and sip Diet Coke for a few more minutes!

Heidi


No comments: