Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day

Rocks in My Dryer is having a "Labor day" meme. I am not one for doing these but this was kind of fun! Link on over to her if you'd like to join the fun~

How long were your labors?

Kid #1 (Nate), 24 hours plus.....
Kid #2 (Madison), 24 minutes.

How did you know you were in labor?

I never really went into labor. Nate (#1) was 5 days late and huge (9lbs, 12 oz) so the doctor induced.

Kid #2, Scheduled Labor

Where did you deliver?

With all of them, at a hospital. Where the drugs are. And ice chips too.

And to be a bit more specific: Strong Memorial Hospital, Rochester NY. A teaching hospital....." where everyone got a glimpse of you" if you know what I mean!

Drugs?

#1- I had the cervix softening gel the night before things got started and then had the pitocin drip. Then as labor progressed, I had some drug that caused me not to remember ANYTHING for like four hours and then I got an epidural and the world was good again.

#2--Spinal. God's beautiful gift to women.

C-section?

Yes, both babies. Nate was HUGE (as stated above) and I never progressed past 5 cm after 24 hours of intense labor.

Madison was a "scheduled C-section which was literally a 24 minute surgery with absolutely no pain. Until after! :) Madison was 5 days early and weighed a whopping 10lbs, 5 oz.

Both were gestational diabetes babies--which explains the sizes at birth. Both fell in percentile rankings every pediatric visit for the first year. I never knew what size 0 diapers looked like. And my babies slept minimum of 5 hours a night from day one.

And a memory: With Nate, I could control my sugars with diet. With Madison, I was forced to inject insulin. As a hospital precaution, all insulin gestated babies have to spend their first night in the Neo Natal Intensive Care Unit to check her sugar levels. When I went down that first evening to finally get to hold her, I was suprised to see a nurse rocking her when I arrived. I asked her if everything was okay and she simply said, "Heidi, it is not everyday that we get to hold such big healthy babies so throughout the day, we have been taking turns rocking her. You see, she is bigger than all of her room mates (3 other babies) combined!"

Who delivered?

Dr. Ribb delievered Nate. I think that is a funny name for a doctor. Nate was born @10:02 p.m.

Dr. Rabinowitz delivered Madison. Madison was born @9:58 a.m. After the birth, I told her that it was too bad that she didn't come at 10:02 a.m. She told me she was sorry I didn't ask because she would have totally been into that challenge! We got along very well.

So there you have it. A little labor for the day.
Heidi

1 comment:

Sarah said...

It was great to read your blog. I to have dealth with GD twice and my first was borderline GD. My first DD was born by a forced section and thankfully I found a great dr for my others where he lets me VBAC. My second was diet controlled GD and my third I was on insulin from 4 weeks. I have been induced and thankfully have avoided any more sections. I am glad that you had good experiences and your littles are healthy.