Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Coca Cola Cake

I am all set to make this lovely tasting and looking coca cola cake tomorrow as my night time project. I call it a night time project because I have an evening meeting but I need the cake by Thursday so I guess I will be up a bit late. I owe it to a lady in my church choir. Please let me explain!

A few weeks ago our church celebrated their 175th birthday. The service was set to start at 10:30 a.m. and conclude many minutes later. In that service, we had a baptism, communion by intinction for 600 people, brass quintet, string trio, 4 anthems, 3rd grade bible presentations, and everything else like sermons, offertories, prayer, and hymns that you would find in a typical Sunday service. Just for fun, I decided that we, the choir, would have a contest to guess the ending time of the service. First prize would be a cake--not an ordinary Better Crocker $.99 cake but a Coca-Cola Cake. You can look at the recipe here. It is absolutely divine.

Most people guessed in the teens of 12 o'clock for an ending time. One lady guessed super early (11:35a.m.) and another guessed super late (12:44p.m.). Every time a minute clicked by and someone's guess lost the contest, I looked at that person and just shook my head. They shook back and acknowledged defeat. Some of them even put a quick "L" on their forehead. Much sadness spread through the choir. It probably wasn't the best contest for a celebration Sunday! My winner was Nancy with a guess of 12:38. People, we were in church for over 2 hours! We are Methodists....we must have set a record for something! Nancy, the elementary art teacher, will get the cake.

It's a lot of stress. I hope my frosting looks perfect. She's an artist! I know she will be judging....

Heidi

No comments: