Sunday, July 13, 2008

Singlehood

Today something very rare happened in my life. Everyone in my family left me to go to Grandpa and Grandma's house for a few days of rest and relaxation. We had planned for the children to go for a week long visit for quite some time since I have Drama Camp part 2 this week in South Haven. But my husband surprised me a few days ago with the announcement that he would be taking the kids (it's about 2 1/2 hours away) and would be staying in Lapeer for a few days!

Today is the first day that I have had not just 3 hours alone but and entire day. The son, daughter, and hubs were up and out of the house at 6:30 a.m. this morning! And guess what? It has been pure heaven. (I'm sorry family....please read on!) I am preparing for bed and just realized that I have NEVER in three years spent the night alone in this house! I checked the locks twice (once for me and once for Stu) and now am tucked into bed!

So why has it been heaven you ask? Let me try to explain. Here is what my day looked like:

1. I was at church for an 8 a.m. rehearsal and the 9a.m. service. I was the soloist today. This was the extent of my planned activities for the day.

2. I came home and ate a nectarine, changed clothes, and decided to work upstairs for a bit. I processed and folded 4 loads of laundry, changed the colors in the kids bathroom(surprise!), picked up "stuff" in every room, and made the children's beds.

3. I decided to go to Walmart and buy some new phones for our house. We have tried to "use them up" and wait to buy new ones but it was getting ridiculous because all of the phones were becoming unreliable. I hope I got good ones.

4. While I was out I got a phone call that there was a "problem" at the auditorium. So I ran over there (alright, I drove!) and 3 hours later solved it and was back home!

5. I realized that I was hungry. I threw a piece of marinated chicken (italian dressing--one of my favorites) on the grill, microwaved an ear of corn (delicious), and ate up some green beans. Oh, and I had some blueberries! Yummy.

6. I finished "decorating" the kids bathroom with some purchases from Walmart and then I packed my lunch for tomorrow at camp.

7. At 8:30p.m., I realized that I hadn't turned on the TV, stereo, or computer all day. I picked up the living room and kitchen while I watched shows that I got to choose myself. No Disney Channel tonight!

So, I am still in a bit of singlehood heaven, but I do miss the noise and busyness that a family has to offer! It was fun to be a bit "selfish" today but I don't want it everyday....I love the three that are gone way too much to settle for that!

2 comments:

melissa said...

Your activities for the day hardly seem "selfish!" Most of what you did you did in service to others, silly girl. Enjoy your quiet house as much as you can this week!

Pumita said...

I'm glad you've gotten this well-deserved break! And I'm amazed at all you've accomplished. Good feeling, isn't it? Enjoy!