Saturday, March 14, 2009

Sunshine Chicken

Today I decided to make a chicken recipe that is one of my favorites. I don't think it is particularly lowfat but it is quite tasty and reheats beautifully.

I will post the recipe at the end for those of you who'd like to try this. I haven't made this recipe in several years. It calls for a healthy amount of orange juice, raisins, cinnamon,almonds, mandarin oranges, and a touch of ginger. I made the recipe according to the directions and after I put the chicken in, I realized that my cinnamon had started to clump in my orange juice gravy. It was not a happy moment in my kitchen....no one that I know of should have to eat lumps of cinnamon in their gravy! I quickly grabbed my weapon of choice which happened to be a wisk, and started to wildly stir the gravy. I was quite disgusted with myself when I realized that the clumps were the raisins not the cinnamon!

Without further adieu, I give you "Sunshine Chicken"
6 halves Chicken Breast
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter

Sprinkle the chicken with salt while melting the butter in a large skillet. Lay the chicken in the pan and brown both sides a minute or so on each side. Remove chicken and leave drippings in pan. Add to the pan one more tablespoon of butter.

Mix into the melted butter:
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of ginger

Stir well. Add 1 1/2 cups orange juice and stir until thickened. Turn heat to low and add the chicken pieces back into the pan. Add 1/2 cup raisins (Golden ones are pretty but the black ones are just as good.) and 1/2 cup toasted almond slivers.

Let cook about 45-50 minutes covered. Stir occasionally. Right before serving over a bed or rice, add a can of mandarin oranges that have been drained.

Voila, stove top dinner at its finest!
Enjoy.

No comments: