Saturday, March 7, 2009

Chickened Out

Today I woke up with a specific fitness goal in mind. Since I have been exercising for a little more than a week now, I decided to change up my routine and attend a fitness class. My schedule doesn't permit me to be able to make many of these classes during the week because they are either too early or too late in the day. But Saturdays are different. And for that I am thankful.

I am a very social person and group classes are fun for me. It doesn't really matter what kind of class it is although Yoga and Kickboxing scare me so I usually avoid these. Today was a class called "BAC Conditioning" and we all know that I am in need of conditioning!

When I arrived, I nonchalantly surveyed the situation through the glass walls that surround the rest of the workout area. I can not begin to explain the emotional meltdown that was happening in my head as I looked into the classroom and saw the following: Steps that were all on the highest level, bands for your legs and arms, free weights, a 10 lb. bar for lifting, and the dreaded giant ball. EACH station had ALL of this stuff in a pile. It was truly overwhelming. And to put it all into perfect perspective, every person that was scurrying around to get their spot set up, had the body that really didn't look like it needed exercise. And they all were dressed in cute workout clothes! It was almost like I was looking at the filming of an exercise video in the making. I paced up and down the glass wall twice...and I never opened up the door. Instead I sat down in the recumbent bike, set it to 30 minutes and interval trained for 5 grueling miles as I watched the class through the window.

As I settled into my workout, way in the corner of the room, I spied a fat lady. She couldn't do all of the exercises but she was hanging in there. It was humbling and angering to see. I should have been in the class. I knew that. But, when you are overweight, you don't want to be the fattest person in there. Pride. Simple as that.

After the class, I was really bold and went up to the fat lady and said, "I want you to know that you inspired me today to try this class next week." She smiled and was a bit taken aback and replied, "Thanks for inspiring me to keep going! See you next Saturday".

So there you have it. A really truthful post. I better move off this couch before I can't move my sore muscles! Make it a great day!

1 comment:

The Duchess said...

I am so proud of you, Heidi. Hang in there, you are gonna be so much healthier for it!