Sunday, November 9, 2008

Coming Back Home

I was sitting in church this morning and realized that I needed to keep my promise and write in my blog. So here it goes!

Yesterday the children and I raked leaves while the snow fell at 8 a.m. I am sure that there were people peeking out their windows wondering if I was mentally stable or not. I mean really! 8a.m. on a cold, wet dreary Saturday morning? They would have seen 3 very mismatchedly dressed people wondering around pointing and figuring out the game plan. Finally after much talking and hearing everyone's opinion on "the proper way to clear the yard" we came to a conclusion. I fired up the blower, the kids wielded the rakes and we got to work. About 1 hour later the leaves were very wet and heavy but we had finally finished. We were all cold, cranky, tired, and hungry for breakfast!

I don't ask the children to do much around the house. I should. But yesterday Madison said something that truly was astounding to hear from a 9 year old's mouth. She said, "Mom, I really hated raking the leaves. It was hard work and incredibly boring. But do you know what? I really liked working all together as a family like that to get a job done. It was awesome. We should do more of these kinds of projects." And she walked away.

Wow. I needed to hear that. And especially from her.

Oh, she lost another tooth later in the day yesterday. That means the children have lost a total of 3 teeth since Halloween. I am now officially broke. Or the tooth fairy is. We are very closely related you know!

Make it a great day!

Heidi


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kids - go figure.