Monday, August 4, 2008

Thunderstorms

I wish I had my camera. This morning we had a line of thunderstorms come through around 9 a.m. The sky got incredibly dark and I thought it would be a good idea to get my English Muffin into the toaster in case we lost power. It was then that I realized that the cats had already started their thunderstorm ritual. It goes something like this:

Cassie, the girl cat, runs around the house playing tag with the boy cat Tiger. Cassie then hears the first crack of thunder and scurries to the basement steps. She sits on the steps, hunkered down with her ears twitching. About 3 cracks of thunder later, Tiger joins her on the next step up. There they sit right next to each other looking like they are hunting a mouse. Once things really get started with the thunder and lightening, Cassie retreats to under the basement couch and stays out of sight until about 2 hours after the storm has ended. Tiger continues to sit on the steps and then when the storm has passed, he looks for his sister by meowing around the house until he finds her. It is a ritual that has been going on for 7 years now! They are really cute even though they shed too much and keep us awake at night.

I just looked at the weather radar....it looks as if we are getting more storms later. Maybe I can find a camera by then.

1 comment:

Pumita said...

Has it really been that long since you've had the cats? I thought it was like 5 years... My, how time flies!