Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Polar Opposites

Today we went shopping for school supplies. Madison has been looking forward to this day for a few weeks now. She would frequently ask me if "today was the day". I held her off until now but in a moment of weakness, I gave in and we piled into the car and headed to Walmart for the big event. Nathan passed on the trip and told me that he "was already done with his school shopping." I gave him a bit of a bewildered look but didn't further question him and decided to leave him home.

Madison proudly entered our house an hour later with her $17.97 worth of "awesome stuff". She convinced Nathan to watch as she spread it out on her side of the dining room table. It really was quite impressive: 3 bottles of hand sanitizer, a calculator, a package of erasers, protractor, bendable ruler, compass, 8 pencils, 64 crayons, colored pencils, 4 folders, notebook, gluesticks, and a bottle of glue. She then labeled every single item with her initials using a Sharpie marker. She was really excited. She then carefully said to her brother, "Nate, why don't you spread your stuff out on the other side of the table so we can look at it all."

I was in the kitchen at that point in the day and was interrupted by a phone call so I didn't hear his response. A few hours later I walked into the dining room and saw that he had followed through with his sister's request. On his side of the table sat a black 5 subject notebook and 1 pencil.

I couldn't help but giggle at the vast difference in priorities!

No comments: