Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Final Day of houseboating


Here is a picture of a tired girl! She obviously slept about the same as I did! We decided that it would be good to get back to Egan Marina by noon so that the 8 hour drive to Lapeer and 10 hour drive to Kalamazoo would be doable. So, we needed to pull off the dock by 9a.m. and that is exactly what we did!

In looking back, there were great highlights of the trip:
1. Madison and my mom planned a theme for everyday of the trip: Entertainment Day, Mystery Day, Farm Day, e
tc. It was fun to watch each of them unveil the activities for the day!
2. We had no phone, computer, or internet for 4 days. It was an adjustment but it was good to not have an option to escape into cyberworld.

3. Although the accommodations where less than great and those white plastic chairs where my arch enemy by the end of the trip, it was fabulous to have time to reconnect with the family.
4. Lots of fish were caught. Nate and Madison caught over 100 fish. We just threw them all back since none of the older folks wanted to cook or clean them! It was so much fun to watch the smiles on my children's faces as they reeled them in.

5. It has been 15 years since I was last on a houseboat; Stan and I were just married and he was a nervous wreck about grad school. Now we are established in our community, love our jobs, have two beautiful children. Not bad for 15 years of work! But, the houseboat thing could be another 15 years until I do it again. But it was totally worth it. And I am sure the memories will get better as time passes!!

Make it a great day!

1 comment:

Sam DeBord said...

Houseboating is the best. I can't think of a better way to take a family vacation.