Friday, January 9, 2009

Surviving Vs. Thriving

It is so hard to keep up with things lately! I haven't mentioned this on my blog (I don't think), but I am teaching an overload at school and it is really starting to catch up with me.

Last summer, my principal shared with me that he was "worried" about me last spring because of the amount of extra activity that happens in the auditorium during May and June. It seems that everyone wants to have a piece of space during these months. We had two dance recitals, two graduations, five concerts, and a vast amount of meetings, etc. I remember that I said to Stu once or twice "Well, I will see you next week". And it was only Monday night.

In order to make this year "easier", my principal and I thought it would be better if I taught 4 classes in the winter and then only two choir classes in the Spring. So, I am running the auditorium from 7:30-8:45 each morning and then I teach from 8:50-2:35 with one break at 12:47 for lunch. It is in one word, overwhelming. I feel like I am working at full strength each and every day and I still can't stay ahead. To make things more challenging, I am teaching a brand new guitar class that has no curriculum. I am embarrassed to admit that for many days in a row, I have planned out what I am going to do at 1:17 (guitar), during my lunch break.

I am bound and determined to thrive not just survive during 2009. I need to get back to exercising. And planning healthy meals. But maybe that will have to wait until March. March 5th to be exact. That will end the marking period.

So until then, I guess I just settle. And work as hard as I can. And pray for LOTS of snowdays!

By the way, we are getting a big storm tonight! Too bad it's Friday!

Blessings,
Heidi

No comments: